Use our trusted campus carbon and nitrogen accounting platform to track, analyze, and improve your sustainability.
Why a new tool?
We are launching SIMAP as a replacement for the Excel Campus Carbon Calculator and the online CarbonMAP for several reasons:
- To capture the multiple systems impacts of campus operations by including the nitrogen footprint
- To increase standardization and reduce the fragmentation and confusion that results from offering multiple tools
- To allow for the identification of trends across campus sustainability by tracking and sharing aggregated campus sustainability data in one place
- To ensure UNHSI’s continued ability to support and maintain a dedicated, user-driven accounting tool for the higher education sector
When will it be available?
The platform is live now! Read the Press Release.
- Transition from CCC and CarbonMAP to SIMAP by January 31, 2018
How SIMAP helps?
The redesigned and expanded SIMAP will offer campuses a simple, comprehensive, and affordable online platform for measuring, reporting, and managing their carbon and nitrogen footprints.
The mission of SIMAP is to continue to help colleges and universities track their footprints so they can meet their sustainability goals as effectively and efficiently as possible.
The tool has been redesigned to provide a simple and adaptable user interface, making data entry and tracking easier. We will help all current users of CCC and CMAP transition their data using a simple import function. Signatories of the Presidents’ Climate Leadership Commitments will also be able to see required reporting fields, and in the paid version, export to the reporting platform.
The integration of the nitrogen footprint extends the scope of the tool beyond carbon, allowing it to account for environmental impacts such as biodiversity loss, water quality, and air quality. In addition, this integration incorporates the nitrogen footprint of food purchase.
We are also looking towards the future of sustainability reporting, designing the platform so that new sustainability indicators (phosphorus, water, or others) could easily be integrated in the future.
Will there be a cost?
SIMAP will offer Basic functionality free, while providing a suite of additional useful features for a nominal license fee. This model will allow UNH to cover the costs of continuing to offer and support this tool for the good of the entire campus sustainability community. The basic version is also supported, through the partnership with Second Nature. In addition, all Presidents’ Climate Leadership Commitment signatories will have a 40% reduction in costs for the upgraded versions. The basic free version and nominal cost Tier 1 will be available in September 2017. Tier 2 will be available in December 2018.
- Basic free trial version and nominal cost Tier 1 launched in fall of 2017
- Tier 2 will be available in late 2018
Basic: At no cost, the basic access to the tool will provide the calculation of the campus carbon and nitrogen footprint. This basic access will be available on a web platform where users can enter and store their data for two months.
Tier 1: The Tier 1 functionality will be the first paid version, available since November 2017. The license cost for Tier 1 is $350 for an annual subsription.
Some of the Tier 1 features are:
- Import and export of all input data, emissions factors and results—for ease of use and manipulation in MS Excel
- Customized emissions factors for all sources
- Nitrogen footprint results based on data entered for GHG inventory (as well as on optional additional entry of food purchasing data
- The ability to add and manage multiple users for one institutional account
- Export to the Second Nature Reporting Platform for Presidents’ Climate Leadership Commitment signatories via an API
Tier 2: An update planned for FY/19 will implement the Tier 2 functionality. The license cost for Tier 2 will be $550/year. The following are examples of the types of features that may be included:
- Customizable report templates
- Auto-reporting to other platforms
- "Projections" and "solutions" analysis to assist with Climate Action Planning
- Complete Scope 3 reporting module (based on the WRI Scope 3 Protocol)
- Benchmarking capabilities based on sector averages and peer institutions
Questions? Contact us by email: email@example.com