Meet the Interns!

September 11, 2012

Written By: Jackie Cullen

It's a new year and we have 4 new students in the office between the Sustainability Institute and Climate Counts. We've asked them to introduce themselves!

Megan Barry - UNH Sustainability Academy Intern

Hello, my name is Megan Barry, and I will be interning at the UNH Sustainability Institute this semester! I am a senior studying Cultural Studies and Sustainability, with a particular interest in the cultural impediments for sustainable development.  I also am involved with the NH Energy and Climate Collaborative, SEAC, and the Student Sustainability Alliance.

My involvement with the Sustainability Institute began with Dr. Cameron Wake’s “Global Environmental Change” course, in which I participated in research exploring the potential for energy and carbon emission reduction programs at UNH.  Most of my work focused on the current use of Hydration Stations on campus, but our research culminated in a proposal for energy-efficient programs, some of which have already been approved for implementation.  One of my goals for this year is to increase student awareness and involvement with sustainable initiatives on campus.  Students are a powerful and often untapped force on campus, and UNH’s already-impressive sustainability efforts could progress even further with the added passions of an engaged student body.  After this year I hope to pursue an interdisciplinary graduate degree that focuses on sustainable development.  For now, I will be blogging here about sustainability-related events and topics periodically, so check back soon!

Lou Simms - Data Collection and Reporting Intern

Lou Simms is the UNH Sustainability Academy Data Collection and Reporting Intern. His internship work focuses on collecting sustainability information across campus for UNH's greenhouse gas emissions inventory, Local Harvest Initiative, STARS, and other reporting.

A graduate student in the UNH Resource Administration and Management Program, Lou's research focuses on the economic viability of local agriculture in the Northeast and beyond. He commutes to UNH via the Amtrak Downeaster from his hometown of Portland, Maine.

Originally from Kentucky, Lou shares a great appreciation for and a strong commitment to preserving the vast natural beauty which we enjoy here in Northern New England.

Ben Trolio – Climate Counts Intern

Ben is working as an intern with the nonprofit Climate Counts.  He is focusing on managing the nonprofits social media and to help the organization reach new students at UNH and in the New England region.

Before working with Climate Counts, Ben participated in two summer internships, Ride for the Future and Climate Summer. In the latter, he traveled by bike across New Hampshire with four other college students document and supporting communities transitioning away from fossil fuels.  In Ride for the Future, he traveled from New Orleans to Dallas documenting and highlighting the effects of the fossil fuel industry on the region.  Both programs are run by Better Future Project, a nonprofit based out of Boston.

In his senior year, Ben is passionate about empowering students around the issue of climate change.  He is active in the Student Environmental Action Coalition and looks forward to building a better relationship between student groups and Climate Counts.

Erin Jackson – Climate Counts Intern

My name is Erin Jackson and I am a senior pursuing a Bachelor Degree in Business Administration in Entrepreneurial Venture Creation. I am also pursuing a degree in EcoGastronomy. I am proud to be a veteran member of Net Impact and Get REAL! UNH. Net Impact is a student org with initiatives involving businesses focused on the triple bottom line of people, planet, and profit. I am part of Get REAL! UNH to pursue the REAL Food Challenge; uniting students for a just and sustainable food system. When I am not studying or going to class, I am on the soccer field. I am a proud member of the UNH Women’s Soccer team. I am the 2012 captain and am excited to make a run for the championship title. UNH has provided me countless opportunities in my last four years. I have spent my spring breaks skiing in Colorado, rebuilding houses in New Orleans, and attending a microfinance certificate program in Ghana, Africa. For my summers as a UNH student, I work at the Woodman Horticultural Research Farm on campus as a work study student. This past summer, I studied Sustainable Development abroad in Costa Rica at the International Center for Developmental Studies. In my free time, I like to explore, travel, and meet new people. A tentative idea upon graduation is to pursue a Master’s Degree in Development Policy and Practice while taking my extra year of eligibility for soccer here at UNH.

Archive

Recent Tweets