Application deadline: Extended to February 19th at midnight
Time commitment for Fellows: 40 hours per week, June 5-August 18, 2016
Location: Project-dependent (see project list for specific locations). Fellows will be placed with partners across the U.S. For some of the projects, state or regional travel may be required.
What You Need to Know Before Applying:
- All applicants from all academic institutions should be enrolled in an undergraduate or graduate degree program when they apply (seniors graduating in May are welcome.)
- Academic backgrounds in the fields indicated in the individual project postings are preferred; these vary widely.
- We will encourage, but not require, an academic sponsor or reference for each fellow, and where possible we will ask that course credits are awarded.
- There is a MANDATORY three-day, two-night orientation in Durham, NH, from May 31 through June 2nd. Lodging and food will be provided, but Fellows are asked to pay their own associated travel costs.
- There is a $35 application fee, payable online. (However, this may be waived for UNH students. To request a waiver, applicants should contact UNHSI.)
- The Fellowship does not cover any costs for temporary (summer) relocation or housing, beyond the $6,000 stipend.
- Click here to view our informational webinar.
Fellowships are opportunities for highly skilled and motivated students to contribute to unique and exciting new projects and initiatives. As a result, fellows will gain:
- $6,000 (taxable) compensation
- New skills and knowledge;
- Access to extensive new professional contacts and networks;
- Material to add to his or her professional portfolio.
What to Expect After Applying
- Review of applications will take place in late February. All applicants will be notified on or before March 17th whether they are being invited to interview. (Please DO NOT call or email before then to check on the status of your application; there will be no available information.)
- Interviews will be conducted virtually (via Skype or GoToMeeting.) They will take place between March 17th and March 31st. If you are selected for an interview, UNHSI will contact you to schedule a time that is mutually agreeable for you and for the interview committee (usually 2 or 3 people) between those dates.
- Offers will be made by no later than April 14th.
Applications must be submitted by midnight on February 19th (extended from February 17).
- Review the program overview above to understand the eligibility requirements, selection timeline and process, obligations, and benefits.
- Review the list of 2017 Fellowship Projects and determine which one/s for which you want to reply. (No more than two).
- Review best practices for applying.
- Assemble one document that includes a cover letter, resume, list of three references with contact information, and SHORT writing sample (no more than two pages). Save that document as a PDF.
- Be aware that there is a $35 application fee (waived for UNH students). When you hit "Submit" on the application form below, you will have completed the first part of the application process. Your application will NOT be considered complete until you have used the link provided on the confirmation page to go to the second application form, where we will process your fee; you must complete the second form even if you are eligible for a waiver.
- If you need to request the waiver code, please email michelle dot fox at unh dot edu.